This job is no longer available
The Head of Media will be responsible for efficient delivery of global media strategies, manage reputational risk and lead innovative partnerships and champion organisational change. The successful candidate will lead the newly established Media unit and form close collaboration with the Marketing and Innovation units within the Communications team.
Reporting to the Director, the appointee will lead a team comprising external communications, stakeholder engagement and partnership development focusing on policy developments and consumer awareness.
One of the primary responsibilities of the role will be the development and maintenance of sector-leading global media strategy (within agreed budgetary constraints) which allow the MSC to operate effectively, efficiently and influence the news agenda. Desk review of existing collateral and regularly revising, updating and redeveloping as necessary. Development and maintenance of relevant policies and procedures will also be required to ensure the successful delivery of the strategy.
This exciting and challenging role will focus on core values – science, education and partnerships – through multimedia content to shape and influence the news agenda in line with the strategic ambitions of MSC. Using substantial experience in and understanding of the (ideally international) news environment, the post holder will create a high level of media and PR activity in support of the delivery of our strategy.
S/he will provide professional advice and support to the Director on communication matters; developing a core set of materials, driving and inspiring an organisational-wide, innovative approach to communications.
Alongside the strategic elements of the role, the post holder will be expected to be directly involved (hands on) in day to day operational media activities (including project delivery), and will therefore need relevant technical skills and abilities, and the ability to prioritise appropriately, to be successful in the position.
The post holder will need to establish effective working relationships with the Standards Team and all MSC managers and staff across all regions to enable the development and delivery of external communication strategy and projects. They will also need to develop effective working relationships with third party suppliers and contractors, and will be encouraged to develop connections with their external peers in similar organisations to enable learning from best practise elsewhere.
The post holder will need to set and manage agreed media budgets working with the Director, monitoring expenditure and costs against delivered and realised benefits as the programme progresses. Their role may entail the procurement of new software, hardware and third-party consultancy support, in accordance with proper procedures and best practise.
We expect the post holder to be an advocate of our mission and passionate about our core purpose and values. Ours is a fast paced work environment and s/he must be adept at managing multiple priorities while delivering excellent results.
This is a new role for the MSC and it provides a great opportunity for the right individual to make a significant contribution towards the delivery of MSC’s mission.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE ROLE
- Develop external communications / media relations strategy, seeking high-level coverage in print, broadcast and online media (environmental, industry, business, financial, consumer and general media).
- Coordinate and support all public relations activities worldwide and in close cooperation with the Standards and Commercial Teams and regional communications leads in Asia-Pacific, Americas and Europe.
- Oversee and curate editorial content across all MSC digital platforms.
- Support and closely work with the heads of the Marketing and Innovation snits to engage audiences across traditional and new media.
- Work closely with the proposed Internal Communication & Staff Engagement Manager in Resources to align external and internal communication.
- Leverage existing media relationships and cultivate new contacts within business, financial and general media.
- Leverage existing and develop new partner relationship specifically universities and institutions.
- Create content for press releases, byline articles, (keynote) presentations, brochures, Annual Report and the MSC’s online channels.
- Monitor, analyse and communicate results of external communication on a regular basis.
- Evaluate appropriate speaking opportunities for key executives or functional specialists.
- Maintain a deep understanding of the organisation’s business, industry and policy trends in order to make appropriate recommendations regarding external communication.
- Organize events, such as press conferences, webcasts and press trips.
- Develop a crisis communication management; manage crisis communication with all stakeholders in a crisis situation.
- Develop core Media Tool and Resource Kits.
- Lines manage the Web Content Manager.
- Champion and support organisational development in close collaboration with the Director of Resources.
Technical Skills and Experience
- Educated to degree level in journalism, politics, environmental sciences, development, economics or equivalent journalist experience, preferably gained internationally.
- Significant proven experience including international exposure with a similar organisation and/or journalism with a major broadcaster or publication with a demonstrable track record of leading complex integrated communication strategies
- In-depth knowledge of international, national and local media and experience of developing and implementing media and PR strategies.
- Good understanding of communications strategy and at the same time willing and able to implement and act as spokesperson.
- Experience developing and overseeing high profile international relationships
- Proven line management experience – able to lead, manage, develop and mentor staff
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, complimented by an ability to make clear decisions and informed judgements when identifying opportunities for media stories and building relationships.
- Proven successful experience of writing and editing different types of news releases, articles, presentations, speeches, brochures, annual report as well as pieces for the company’s online channels (short messages for MSC’s website, blog entries and similar) – which may all require a different writing style
- Experience of leading diverse integrated media functions with demonstrable track record of success.
- Organised and prepared media training
- Coached executives, helped them prepare for media relations, speeches or similar
- Significant political awareness and understanding of the context within which MSC operates.
- Comprehension of web and social analytics.
- Experienced of overseeing multimedia projects.
- Ability to provide social media policy recommendations to SMT, partners and stakeholders.
- Managed international partnerships and campaigns.
- Experience at budget management and implementation.
- Share Point experience desirable
- Excellent written and spoken English; relevant second language desirable.
- Clear communicator
- Team player, cooperates on projects with regional communication teams, and other colleagues across the organisation
- Strong management and leadership skills, an ability to remain calm at all times
- Creative thinker and problem solver
- Excellent organisational skills
- Ability to work on own initiative and within budget
- Commitment to the MSC’s mission
- Commitment to the MSC's policies on equal opportunities, environmental management, values, health and safety
To apply for this position, please click the Apply now button